The Property Accountant is expected to handle full-cycle accounting for a commercial real estate portfolio with limited supervision. Essential to success is to provide accurate and timely financial information as required internally by the property manager and corporate management and externally by our clients. The Property Accountant will have full involvement, responsibility, and accountability for their portfolio, which includes all monthly, quarterly, annual reporting, and other responsibilities as detailed in the job duties. The Property Accountant is expected to utilize and develop skills such as problem solving, decision-making, time management and effective communication to achieve the desired results.
• For new property setup process, oversee accounting setup process,
establish property level data, suite configuration and establish banking
account. Enter and verify lease abstract to accounting system. Load
general ledger and year-to-date balances.
• For maintenance of data, key standing data changes as leases or property
level changes are received from Property Manager. Maintain security
deposit refund and adjustments in accounting system.
• For accounts payable cycle, verify sufficiency of funds for approved
payables. Create checks in accounting system, verify for accuracy
and obtain appropriate authorized signatures. Initiate and monitor wire
transfers, record non-accounts payable transactions in accounting system.
• For accounts receivable cycle, post rentup and apply concessions. Enter
one-time charges and A/R writeoffs as approved by property manager.
Post A/R payments to accounting system as deposit notification is
received from controller or notifications regarding direct deposits.
• Other general ledger activity includes reconciliation of general ledger
accounts, run interim reports as requested. Prepare adjusting journal
entries, review with property manager and record to accounting system.
• End of month financial reporting consists of run and review pre-cycle
statements, run and post end-of-period activity, and perform initial
quality review. Review financial statements with property manager for
approval. Close property in accounting system. Run final financial
statements and provide to property manager.
• Assist the property manager in the preparation, presentation and content of
the annual operating budget and monthly financial reporting package.
• Assist in the responsibility of the property manager for the final review and
approval all annual lease reconciliation and estimates.
• Prepare all accounting documents as required by the property and
deliver to property manager for final review.
• Maintain a positive image in performing daily work both internally and
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
• Minimum of 2 years experience in real estate accounting.
• Proficient in MS Office Suite, E-Mail.
• Experience with real estate software such as Yardi, MRI, etc.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Excellent communications and organization, follow-through and follow-up,
meet commitments and deadlines.
• Ability to prioritize workload with an attention to detail and willingness to
complete projects in a timely and efficient manner.
• May perform other duties as assigned.